Pages

Sunday, November 24, 2013

You Can't Hurry Love


Confession: I am a sucker for chick flicks! 

"Sleepless in Seattle," "The Notebook" and "P.S. I Love You" are just three of my favorites. These are great movies with beautiful love stories and grand romantic gestures. Girls can't help but want to cry and smile at the same time while watching.

I, like many girls, would love to know what it would be like to be the women in these stories. I wouldn't mind if Ryan Gosling  kissed me passionately in the rain, if I planned to meet Tom Hanks on the top of the Empire State Building on Valentines Day, or had that love-at-first-sight moment with Gerard Butler at a pub in Ireland (Guinness in hand, of course).


Well, my life is not a movie and I am realizing that it is better that way. 

I am going to be turning 24 next month. It is that time of my life when many of my friends are in serious relationships, moving in with a boyfriend or getting engaged. I am single and feel ready for that special someone, but I just haven't met him yet. 


THAT IS OK. 

I have decided not to listen to the negative voice that wants me to focus on what is "missing" and asking "When will it be your turn?"  Instead, I am full of joy for my friends who are in strong, faith-filled, trusting relationships. I am embracing new friendships, focusing on work and realizing that I HAVE MY OWN STORY

My story is not going to be like Rachael McAdam's, Meg Ryan's , Hillary Swank's, or even my best friends'.  I will meet someone when the time is right. He will be everything I need and more. He will be able to love me the way I need and I will learn how to best love him. I have to realize that I am not in control of when and where I meet this person. When I let go and let God put me in the positions to meet my someone, it will be so much better.

One of my friends helped me put this in perspective. He said, "Meg, you always say you wish your life was like a movie or a book but you keep wanting to jump to the end where the happily ever after part is and tend to forget that there is an adventure part of the story that will make the ending that much more joyful and unbelievable."

I have been reflecting about this during runs lately. I have found that I have to intentionally remind myself that my story is mine and cannot be compared to anyone else's story -- especially those of the movies! 

My friend was right. I can't hurry love. I need to embrace the adventure and take every opportunity to be awesome. I need to continue to bring sunshine and positivity to every situation and just be Megan.  One day, my someone is going to love every quirky aspect that makes me who I am and I will embrace him for all he is. It will be a love story that is made for movies. It will be my story.





pictures from:
http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/ps-i-love-you/images/3714584/title/ps-photo
http://www.seattlemag.com/mossback-monday-weather-wimps-and-sleepless-seattles-20th-anniversary
http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/06/06/the-notebook-all-time-movie-kiss/




1 comment: